Founded in the 1880s, the company was incorporated in May 1923 as C.H. Bailey, Graham and Co. Just prior to the start of World War II, it became C.H. Bailey Ltd. Almost 50 years later, the company listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The founder and first chairman was Charles H. Bailey, who died in 1907 and was succeeded by his son, Group Captain George B. Bailey, who was responsible for starting dry dock operations in Malta in the 1950s. He was succeeded by his son, Christopher, who was the father of the present chairman.
Until the early 1960s, the company was engaged primarily in owning and operating dry docks, ship repairing and heavy engineering. While the company’s first dry dock operations were in Newport, it also operated in Barry, Cardiff, Swansea, Port Talbot, on the Mersey, and in Bristol and Malta. Our head office remains in Newport, South Wales.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the group diversified into transport, leisure, and electrical contracting. In the last decade, the company has focussed on developing and operating high end hospitality, commercial and retail properties in East Africa.